Sunday, January 31, 2016

A slight return and maudlin musing




Times are tough, the slow slide into chaos has momentum now, and if we survive this storm we are all sure to know someone who won't. I keep thinking it won't be me, I'll survive but the truth is I don't really have any evidence for that. If you don't survive I just want you to know that I'll miss you and hope we'll see one another again.







I've searched for a way out of the chaos and I keep returning to religion as the uneasy answer. What it has done to me is given me something outside of immediate gratification to occupy my waking hours. I spent my time reading The Desert Fathers when I should probably spent more time with the Bible but I've also realized a great value in returning to a more primitive Christianity. The men and women of the desert did not have exhaustive resources and were not often scholars, they were simple and charitable with the overarching ideas of love and forgiveness. I've found meaning in forgiveness. In this age I think we need to offer forgiveness and be forgiven more than anything as we act out in our desperation, fear, and lust for distraction while the world crumbles around us.



Anyway if you got this far you might be thinking something like "What the fuck is he on about?" or "What's the deal?" and I just wanted to say something about how I notice you, I care about your deal, and I hope the hard times ahead don't kill you. I hope you find something that works to keep you alive if you haven't already found it.

No comments:

Post a Comment